The Introductions Thread!

Hey folks ! Let’s use this thread to introduce ourselves.

I’m Bharath Ramsundar, a co-founder of Computable. I spent a number of years involved with deep learning projects, especially in the biological space. I got very involved in open source projects, helping start a popular open source library and wrote some books about AI. I realized that getting access to interesting datasets was one of the core limitations for building more sophisticated AI systems, and that crypto brought a powerful set of tools that could incentivize the construction of new datasets in a fair and sustainable fashion.

The best way to follow me is on Twitter.

1 Like

w00t!

I’m Roger.

Now –
I co-founded Computable to make it easier for more people to work on AI. It shouldn’t be so hard to get data for building models, and it’s peculiar to me that a handful of centralized companies control information that comes from all of us. We’re tackling this by creating open and fair markets for data, and we’re having a lot of fun along the way!

Then –
Worked with startups in AI/ML, robotics, and digital biology as a VC…
Hacked on photons as a quantum optics and nanotech researcher… (I think we owned the record for the world’s smallest silicon integrated laser at one point?)
Other engineering stuff.

You can follow me on Twitter.

1 Like

I am Fattaneh!

I am a research fellow at Computable and working on Cryptographic aspects of our protocol to protect user’s data. I am also a postdoctoral scholar in the School of Information at the University of California, Berkeley. My primary research interest is designing general and efficient privacy-preserving solutions motivated by real-world applications. During my Ph.D., I have been designing novel, general, and efficient privacy-preserving solutions and protocols which can be used for different applications, but are specifically used for biometric computations. You can find more information about me in my webpage.

3 Likes

I’m Patrick. Nice to meet all of you!

I’m a former entrepreneur in the AI drug discovery space and now a quant working in New York. I’ve seen first hand the value that the right data can bring to an organization and i’m excited to see the formal securitization of these assets by Computable.

Best of luck on your journey ahead :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Reid!

I work on product at Computable and think a lot about how data gets into a market. I love translating between engineering and design, to bring to life products that solve real problems, bring delight, and work well.

I’m not the most prolific on Twitter, but it’s still the best place to follow me.

2 Likes

Hello, Rob here. I’m the founding engineer at Computable. A pleasure.

I spend my days hacking this dream into a reality. Well, that and saying “No”.

You can find me in and around our Github repos, here, or somewhere in the northeastern Sonoran Desert - just follow the sound of dirtbikes or gunfire, or both on a good day :slight_smile:

Social media. No.

told ya

2 Likes

My name is Matt, I’m a non-expert afficionado of frontier technologies, having the privilege to advise a few cryptography efforts currently. Many of the questions being asked in the ecosystem seem to overlap, and I’m deeply appreciative of the product and team at Computable–this forum has already helped me have some great conversations with my teams and I look forward to more.

I really enjoy making friends from strangers, and invite any of you who read this to connect with me on LinkedIn ( linkedin.com/in/operationalfocus )

I’m also shamelessly plugging my art at zigzagzilla.com

1 Like

Hey @zigzagzilla, good to meet you. Checking out your art now.

“Mediaevalis” is neat, sorry bout the typo - where exactly do you find a dipthong on a keyboard?

anyway.

what do you think about the possibility of a Computable market based around the purchase/commission of original artwork?

1 Like

Thanks for the kind reply, and for having a look! I love the concept of manual art in digital markets, but my few forays into the realm have proven to be disappointments–along the lines of “how does one assign a hash to a physical object without accepting the assumption that that hash can’t simply be assigned to a facsimile of that same physical object?” I think for digital rights it could be fantastic–think proportional views as revenue drivers–and some of the methods for presenting, tracking, and remunerating ( pixflx.com ) are interesting, but perhaps not really suited to so-called fine art? I’d love to learn and gather more ideas on this topic–I’ve crept a couple of Computable’s meetups and heard some great modules, maybe someone could share along these lines in future?

1 Like

right. i am not suprised whatsoever that any “web 2.0” experiments have proven less-than-amazing.

@bharath an interesting point is made here by @zigzagzilla that we know a thing or two about – that being that the asset represented by a listing hash be the actual asset and not a copy, or a forgery, or just a jpeg of a bunny with a waffle on its head.

we should prob move this to an actual thread and out of the intro one…

2 Likes

I’m Robert and I’m the CTO and Chief Architect at Castlight Health, as well as a Technical Advisor to Computable.

At Castlight, we do a lot of interesting ML work to reverse engineer the negotiated rates between health plans and health care providers so that we can give our users accurate estimates of their out-of-pocket costs for thousands of medical, behavioral health, and dental procedures, as well as for many prescription drugs. We think people should know how much these procedures and drugs are likely to cost before they are performed or prescribed. What a crazy idea, right? We also use ML extensively to classify users into segments, e.g., at-risk for diabetes, so that we can make useful recommendations to help them get better, higher-value care. Most recently, we’ve been using RNNs to predict future diagnoses and procedures. I speak about this work relatively frequently at conferences. About 17 million people (mostly in the US) have access to Castlight through their employer or health plan.

Using ML in the health care space is especially challenging due to the extremely sensitive nature of many of the data sets. Add to that the regulation that results in increased legal, security, and privacy compliance efforts. While all very important, this makes it very hard for small teams with amazing ideas to get started. I’m very interested in helping to enable access to this data in a way that preserves the privacy of individuals and allows them to maintain control of their data.

Twitter
LinkedIn

1 Like